Have you ever wanted to start your own blog?
Many people start a blog simply as a way to document their travels, much like a travel diary. Others use it to keep their family and friends updated with what they’ve been up to. Others use it as a creative outlet, a way to express how they feel as they journey on their trip of a lifetime.
And there’s others, like us, who see blogging as a way to make some money online while also doing all of the above!
Whatever the reason, starting a blog is easy and cheap. Heck, it’s free if you want it to be. I’m going to show you exactly how we’ve built this blog.
This article contains affiliate links, please read my disclosure for more information.
It starts with a free blogging platform called Wealthy Affiliate.
Here’s the thing, we’ve been on the Wealthy Affiliate blogging platform for a couple of years now; I (Michelle) kinda had no choice in the matter because Ben signed up for it, paid for the premium access (which we wanted because it gives us the ability to add FIFTY websites to the one account and not have to pay any extra for hosting… Ben has a tendency to start blogs like they’re going out of fashion) and so I figured I may as well use it.
And I’m so glad we did.
The support has been excellent, the hosting platform is stable and reliable, and I don’t have to worry about upgrading my hosting or anything as we get bigger.
It is SUPER easy to get started on Wealthy Affiliate, and you’ll have a great looking website in next to no time. Promise.
See, look how easy it is…
Step One: Sign up for a free account
Click here or the picture below and sign up for your free account.
Step Two: Log in to your new account
When you first log into your account it’s gonna look like one big, hot mess. But like any good piece of software, they walk you step by step through the basic navigation, so that at least you know where to go.
You’ll set up your account with things like your profile picture, description and your goals; and they’ll show you where to go for help.
Step Three: Go through the ‘Get Started Here’
And now this is the fun part, where you actually get to build your blog!
They’ll step you through it, but start at the ‘Get Started Here’ (I’ve put a red arrow on the picture above in case you can’t find it… like I couldn’t. :-/)
Below are the steps you’ll go through.
If you just want to blog about where you’ve been so that mum and Aunt Mary can keep tabs on you, then you’ll just do Step 1 and 2.
And you’re DONE!
But if you want to do more with your blog, then Wealthy Affiliate will walk you through ALL the steps.
Here’s why I love Wealth Affiliate (without sounding like a sales pitch…)
- WordPress platform – Your blog (whether free or paid) is built on the WordPress platform. Everyone who’s anyone builds their blog on WordPress. This will give you great training on how to use WordPress so that IF you want to take your blog further, you’re already on the best platform to use.
- Free – yeah, I’ve mentioned this a few times. The biggest difference between this platform and other free blogging platforms (like Blogger & Medium) is that if you decide to amp things up later on, Wealthy Affiliate makes this super easy.
- Site security (protection from malware, bot-net attacks etc) and daily website backups.
If you want to go further and have your blog earning money, or supporting a sticks and bricks business, I would recommend that you upgrade to the Premium Wealthy Affiliate. The great thing is, you get to have a look around Wealth Affiliate, ask questions, build your own site for free; and see for yourself if it’s as good as I’m saying it is.
Just a heads up
- As you can appreciate, the free account gives you access to lots of stuff, but not everything. But the extra stuff that you won’t have access to, is not things that are relevant to a free blog anyway. For example, you won’t need an https site, or instant DNS setup, or more than 5GB website space. You will have FULL access to help and support, but only for the first 7 days, so make the most of this and ask as many questions as you need.
- Of course they want you to sign up to the Premium account, and they’ll give you every opportunity to do so with discounts etc. But I’ve found that (thankfully) they’re not pushy about it. And, unlike other tools that give you a free account, this one is excellent and gives you everything you need to build your blog.
Side story: I signed up for a free account with an Infographic tool the other day. It was so limited that it was virtually impossible to build anything with the free account because everything had premium plastered on it. That is NOT the case with Wealthy Affiliate, you’ll get everything you need, plus a lot more, with just the free account.
Enough of my talking, if you like to give Wealthy Affiliate a go, just sign up here.
Do you want to see the site I created with a free account? It took me, maybe 10 mins to set up (I think I spent longer looking the ‘right’ photo than I did actually creating the blog). Check it out: roadtripaustralia.siterubix.com
Did you find this guide helpful? Pin one of the images below!